Club History

Club History

The club was formed over 40 years ago when two local athletic clubs, Bromsgrove AC and Redditch AC amalgamated early in 1962. It then became known as “Bromsgrove & Redditch Athletic Club”, which is its name today.

The first chairman was Frank Cardy, a local councillor, and the secretary was Edgar Nicholls, who in 1948 was the fastest man in the UK over. The junior representative on the committee was Rita Gorton, now Rita Brownlie, who is our club secretary and has been for many years.

At Redditch the Abbey Stadium pavilion was completed later in 1962 although at the time there was only a grass track. Thanks to the enthusiastic founder members helping to dig out the footings a cinder track was laid early in 1963. Today there is an eight lane tartan track, which was opened by the Mayor, MadgeTildesley, in April 1962

Club Activities

The club provides coaching and competitions for both sexes from age of ten to veterans. All the separate major disciplines of athletics are covered: – track and field, cross-country, road running and race walking.

Facilities
The club has facilities at Bromsgrove and Redditch for training, the headquarters being at Redditch.

Redditch:- All track and field events are held at Abbey Stadium Birmingham Road Bordesley Redditch (see map for directions) and has an all weather eight lane track which is owned and maintained by the Borough Council.

Bromsgrove:- The facilities are at Ryland Centre New Road Bromsgrove (see map for directions) and has an all weather six lane track which is owned and maintained by Worcestershire County Council.

 

Fonts by Google Fonts. Icons by Fontello. Full Credits here »